Monday, December 29, 2014

Permanent Marker and American Girl Dolls, Just Like You!

I hope that each and everyone enjoyed their time with family and friends during the Christmas Holiday.  Well now we shall prepare to end this year 2014 and start 2015 soaring high and striving daily for success.  I pray that we will all have a very prosperous year.  Despite whatever stumbling blocks that come our way they will be made into stepping stones as we journey towards our goals. 


Let me jump right into it...

First I wanted to let you all know that I have a bad habit of packing things away, and not listing them when I get them.  That is my resolution this year.  Stop hoarding and start listing.  No if ands or buts! 
A few months ago I picked up two American Girl Dolls, Just Like You.  They were fully clothed in the store and for $1.91 each I couldn't go wrong.  One of the dolls had really dirty clothes on and the other doll, well her dress was torn and ripped.  I got home and undressed them and when I did I was totally shocked.  Both dolls had the words MOMO written on their cloth bodies.  One had it on the front and the other had it on the back.  I googled and inquired with Ebay Mommy group on Facebook about how to remove the permanent marker.  I decided to try a few methods and none of them worked.  Kind of bummed!  I put them in a tote in my garage and put them off for a later date.  Well the later date was more like months down the line.  I pulled them out about 4 days ago and decided to list them just as they were.  I had to once again inquire to help identify them and once I got that taken care of I took some pictures and got them listed.  Well not quite, I quickly became undecided on what price point to start them at or should I just list them as BIN aka Buy it Now.  The struggle!  Finally the lights upstairs came on and I was astonished with a brilliant idea.  List them as auctions, duhhhh!  I started them both at a price that I would be okay with getting if I only got 1 bid.  $19.99, yes that's right I was okay with making $20 a piece of both dolls.  I paid a total of $4 and making $40 was not bad at all.  Before you judge me and my ignorance when it comes to these dolls, let me just say I didn't think they would be worth anything due to the permanent marker and the hair had definitely been cut.  I knew that they were heavily sought after, just not sure how people felt about buying them with flaws.

3 day auction, lets see how this will go...........


Dark Hair Blue Eyes

Blonde Hair Blue Eyes
 
The Bidding wars had begun...........
 
Lets see what has taken place with both dolls
With only 1 hour left, checkout the bids on both dolls
 
 
 

 
 
This is the doll that has the permanent marker on the back.
 
 
 
These dolls definitely gave me a new realization.  I can't sell myself short on damaged items.  Don't be afraid to take a chance.  To think I was only going to list them for $40 had I listed them as Buy It Now!
 
 
I can't wait to update you on the ending auction.
 
Part 2 coming soon!!!!
 
 
 
Happy Thrifting
 
Angela~ 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Good to know! By the way, I heard you can make clothes for them with infant onesies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and appreciate the information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I'm super ignorant when it comes to these dolls too. I have 3 boys. LOL I would never have even look twice at these dolls. Amazing how well they sell. I just sold a disney music box that didn't work for $14.99 plus shipping. I tried it at the thrift store...and it seemed to work. But it was actually overwound and didn't really work. I paid $3.99 for it and through I might have to redonate it. But figured..what the heck, let me try and sell it broken. And it sold. So not a huge profit, but I made my money back and a little extra.

    ReplyDelete